Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bye, Bye Beautiful

What I've learned about l o n g - d i s t a n c e relationships:
sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
Period.
(My sissy and her fianc'e)
A girl in my hall is from a town four hours away. She leaves school every weekend to go be with her boyfriend. I see good and bad points with this. Yes, it's sweet and romantic and they must really love each other to make that kind of effort. But at the same time, she is missing out on so much. She has no time to get involved in school clubs or go out with .f.r.i.e.n.d.s. from the dorms on the weekend. She also said she won't go out while she's at school because it'd make her boyfriend mad. Sounds a little controlling to me.
Another friend of mine had been with her boyfriend for three years before coming to college. They starting fighting because of the distance, and broke up a few weeks later. They continued to talk though, and mentioned possibly getting back together come Christmas break. A week before break, my friend received some .a.w.f.u.l. news from a friend back home. Her boyfriend (although technically ex) had been cheating with her best friend while she'd been at school.

As for myself, I had been dating someone around eight months before leaving for c o l l e g e. Even though I couldn't have imagined being with anyone else, we gradually broke up before I left. We decided if it's meant to be, than eventually it will be. But for now, we should live our separate lives and not hold each other back. It sounds like taking the easy way out, but my situation was a little different. First of all, his family had just moved to Utah while mine moved to Arizona. Therefore, even when I return home for breaks, I wouldn't be seeing him. Second of all, he's still in high school and he should finish his senior year having fun and getting the full experience. Likewise me experiencing college. 
We've stayed good friends throughout the months and talk every so often. But lately we haven't been as close. I blame myself for that. I have a tendency to get a n g r y with the people I care about most and .p.u.s.h. them away. I don't know why. I always regret it immediately. It sounds juvenile, which is probably a reason why I'm not ready for a long distance relationship.
The point is this: if it's meant to be it will find a way to be. Whether it's tomorrow or thirty years down the road.
Everything happens for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this! I'm in a long distance relationship myself--it has it's ups & downs I can definitely agree with you on that. And you're right! What's meant to be will find a way! <3 xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking! Long distance is difficult stuff. Good luck to you! I say anyone that can make it work must have something special. That's awesome you're in fashion merchandising too! People don't always quite get it, ha.

    ReplyDelete