Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rocky Roommates

I didn't expect to cry when my mom left me outside the airport alone in a strange new city. But I bawled.
After eighteen years of guidance from my parents, teachers, and a house full of siblings, I was finally alone in the world.
For a while I thought I was the only student in the dorms feeling so homesick and acting like such a baby, but I recently found out my roommate had been going on shopping splurges alone to cope with her depression and homesickness.
It's a scary time, but it's a necessary step in growing up and becoming an adult.
If you're crying yourself to sleep in a dorm room, thousands of miles from home, with some crazy roommates, and no friends, don't worry.
I've been there (surprise, surprise, right?) and lived through it! It didn't last me more than two weeks. The friends will come! You just have to find your right cup of tea. Patience. And stepping out of your comfort zone. Talk to people you wouldn't normally have been friends with in high school. It's college. We're accepting of all!
Of course, I've continued to get homesick throughout the quarter. Who wouldn't miss these gorgeous people?
It was particularly hard to come home after a long day into a far from homey dorm room. The silence bugged me sometimes also, considering I'm used to a house full of nine kids (not that students living in the dorms don't make a lot of noise).
It got much easier once I switched rooms. There was off and on drama with my first roommates. We were all so different! Yes, on the one hand, we're adults now. It's time to start working with people you don't like. But on the other hand, this is my place of living we're talking about. My home! I wanted to feel comfortable in there. 
After my roommates tried to kick me out, I decided it was time to leave. 
And luckily, two girls down the hall needed a third roommate and welcomed me with open arms.
I couldn't have picked two better roommates! A word to the wise: if you're having roommate problems that just can't seemed to be solved, find a way to move out! It may seem extreme, but it will take an enormous load off of your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment